Brief History 1845 - 2020
Celebrating 175 years of God's faithfulness
First Presbyterian Church of Marion, NC originated in 1875 as the Marion Presbyterian Church through the work of 15 Presbyterians from various churches in McDowell County. The first church building was completed two years later, in 1847, by Ephraim Clayton, whose work included many of the most stylish buildings of their day in a region of simple, traditional building.
In 1904 the sanctuary was renovated, but then in 1922, under the tutelage of Reverend James C. Story, the church building was torn down; and our current sanctuary was built, using bricks from the original church, in a neoclassical architectural style. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
During Rev. Story's 23-year tenure, First Presbyterian helped to establish four mission churches: Clinchfield Presbyterian, Conley Memorial Presbyterian, Landis Chapel Presbyterian, and West Marion Presbyterian (now Story Memorial Presbyterian Church).
Building and growth continued in 1952 with the completion of the church manse while Rev. Carl W. McMurray was pastor. In 1963, the last building was completed on the church campus and continues to be used for Sunday School, office space, and as a small group meeting area.
In 1973 we acquired our fellowship hall and parking area from the City of Marion, which contains kitchen facilities, dining and serving areas.
Our church has experienced continued growth throughout the years; and today our congregation of approximately 150 active members is being led by our transitional pastor, Reverend Dr. Wanda Neely.
As First Presbyterian Church prepares to celebrate our 175th anniversary in 2020, our mission is to nurture a diverse community on a journey where God is leading us to make disciples for our church, our community, and beyond.